
This year Jeff and I spent Christmas in Austin with his dad and our two dogs and cat. It was really laid back and just what the doctor ordered!
Jeff's dad, Jerry, moved back to Texas at the beginning of this month, after successfully selling his house of 30 plus years in Tennessee. We were so excited to have him here to share Christmas and call Texas home with us.
Jeff made two great meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas night. Christmas Eve's meal was my favorite, being that it was Italian - gnocchi, grilled portabello and red pepper with fresh mozzarella, and caesar salad (see photo). I picked up dessert, tiramisu and gelato, from Mandola's, an Italian market and restaurant.
Christmas day Jerry, Jeff and I had breakfast, (ironically it was a Jewish breakfast, consisting of lox, capers, red onion, cream cheese on bagels) opened presents, and then we went to see the opening of the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I highly recommend it. Jeff's criticism was that Brad Pitt's acting was a bit distracting, but nonetheless he liked the movie and Jerry did as well.
For the past 3 years, or however long it's been since the Xbox 360 was released, Jeff has been wanting to get one, but we couldn't justify spending the money on something as such that wasn't a need. So, on every birthday and Christmas, Jeff asks for one half jokingly, well knowing that I won't be able to afford one (I'm such a bad wife! so sad). Well, this year, his wish was granted - only, his dad gave it to him! He was the happiest I've ever seen him. I guess the saying's true: good things come to those who wait. :) See video for his reaction.

Jeff, getting warmed up.

Jerry

Christmas Eve dinner


video: Gift unwrapping
Burnaugh Family Christmas
The Saturday following Christmas, Jeff and I traveled two hours to College Station, where the rest of his family joined in celebration of Christmas.
Baby Elijah had his first Christmas this year, and needless to say, he stole the show. He's so cute and such a happy baby!

It was great to see everybody together and to eat such a wonderful meal. I always go nuts when I'm with Jeff's family when it comes mealtime. They do it right, with so many yummy dishes and desserts that it's virtually impossible to walk away without my belly stretched full with as much food as I could possibly take in!
Jeff completely surprised me with gifts at his family's house. They were labeled, 'from Santa', but they had been shipped to his cousin's house with her name on the box. The adults weren't supposed to get each other gifts and Jeff and I agreed to only buy stocking stuffers for each other this year. So, I was completely stumped! Not until Jeff confessed did I understand what he did for me. I feel so bad that his 'trick' was a bit too effective, but in the end I was beside myself for his generosity. Next year I'm gonna have to come up with something really big for him - no silly stocking stuffers and his dad can't beat me to the punch on his gift either, damnit! ;)
We hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season this year. I'm sad I missed seeing everybody from my side of the family this year. Wish I knew further in advance to have planned to see everybody, but that's how the cookie crumbles. I realize that moving away from your home town makes for careful planning when seeing old friends and family, and just hope that we can see you all soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment