When my friend Joseph and I used to work together we had a great routine of heading to the gym every night after work. Since I started the job I currently have, you could say I lost all momentum to keep an exercise routine. So after almost an entire year, Joseph and I decided we were a good influence on each other and would at least start meeting at this run club called the SoCo Run Club that meets on Wednesday nights. We run around Lady Bird Lake and then hang out afterwards. It's been so much fun and we've met so many great people and established several new friendships (Kristin, Jina, Frederico, Paula, Sandy, Kara...).
Well, a few weeks ago several of us from Run Club started hearing about the Nike Human Race. Turns out that Nike chose Austin as one of the twenty-six cities in the world and one of the five US cities to participate in a world-wide race that will occur on August 31st (tomorrow!).
So, with an awesome marketing campaign Nike put together training runs three times a week in Austin. They took place Tuesday nights at Guero's, Thursday nights at Six Lounge (Lance Armstrong's bar), and Saturday mornings at Starbucks. At each place you'd choose your appropriate pace group for your run and upon returning you'd get free food and drinks (yes, beer or Starbucks coffee!). If you wanted to try out Nike shoes, you received free athletic socks and a raffle ticket for prizes after each training meet. Every time you went to a training run you'd check in and be entered to win something for that night. Everybody in our 'group' won at least something and most everybody got the VIP status! Every time you participated in the training meets, tryed on shoes, and/or referred friends you received points and so many points allowed for the possibility to make it into the VIP Pavilion during race day. Ben Harper will be playing at the end of the race, so from what I understand, the VIP allows us front row viewing of the show, a free massage, a place to stash your stuff, and free drinks and such. I'm so excited!!
Thursday night was our final training meet before the race. So, a group of us (new friends, older friends, new coworkers, old coworkers) decided to celebrate and extend the night further (see photos). We had so much fun! I can't wait for tomorrow's race!!
No comments:
Post a Comment