Thursday, May 15, 2008

30 Years Old






How It 'Feels'
May 11th I turned 30 and, other than my 21st, this has definitely been a memorable birthday. It seems I can no longer be considered a 'young adult' and now I'm, well, an adult. Yeah, turning 21 I thought I was an adult. Graduating college, getting married, buying a house, moving away from 'home' (Colorado), selling a house to buy a different house: these are all things that I thought constituted being an 'adult', but now that I'm 30 it seems I am officially an adult. 

It seems I'm now at the age where people don't ask how old you are on your birthday. And supposedly people cannot respond when you tell them by saying, "wow!", without it being offensive. I can no longer go out without being able to handle liquor or wear shorts or skirts above the knee without getting second looks, no matter how good your body may be or how sober you may feel. People ask you when you're going to have kids. And you are more concerned about the lawn than you are with who you're going out with on a Friday night. 

Turning 30 has made me think about all these expectations or parameters (as described previously) that seem to be placed on you when you get to a certain age. To tell you the truth, I hadn't really thought about these until now. So, now that I'm 30 I've decided that I'm not going think about them any more. I believe, as the saying goes, that 'you are only as old as you feel' and I don't want to feel 30 if it means I have to be a certain way. Truth be told, I still only feel 21. I may have done all these adult things, but I feel young and ready to learn more about life than I ever have before. 

How I Celebrated
This year my birthday fell on Mother's Day, so to celebrate both appropriately my mom came out to visit. It was probably the most amazing time we've spent together, which made it the most memorable birthday ever. She came out on a Saturday and left on a Wednesday afternoon. We had a well balanced and eventful time together. 

Saturday night my mom, Jeff, Joseph, Matthew, Katy, Frederico, Julie, Paula, Kara and myself celebrated my birthday at Home Slice for pizza and beer, the bar at San Jose Hotel, and then Kara, Joseph, Jeff and I continued to party hard at Molotov. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful friends, a wonderful husband (who treated everybody to dinner. Thanks Jeff!), and my mom for being such a trooper for hanging out. Joseph, thanks for Molotov as well!

Sunday, my mom and I met with my usual brunch crew at Sago for a Mother's Day brunch. Mmm, yummy as always, even with a hang over! 

Monday, Mom and I went to Fredericksburg and had the best day ever!! We did what we do best - shopped til' we dropped. And we dropped at a cute little B&B called Binky's Secret Garden. Thanks Mom for the wonderful conversations and quality time together.

Tuesday we came back home and got busy. Mom and I managed to paint my entire living room, put up new blinds, a new curtain rod and rearrange the furniture in one day (well, a day and a half really, but who's counting). Like mother like daughter: when we have a vision, we are motivated to get it just right. 

I was sad to see Mom go on Wednesday, but happy that we got to spend such a wonderful few days together. I appreciate my mom so much more now that I am older - that is, 30 years older. 

Other celebrities born in 1978:


No comments: