Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rats!

The dogs found a new friend yesterday morning. Yep, a rat! It was a relief to see that they were just being inquisitive, gingerly pawing and sniffing at it. However, the very site of a rat was not a relief at all. I know that they can be destructive and dirty pests. I found some droppings and some chewed up painting supplies in our carport the other day, so I set out some poison. Well, it now appears that my plan had worked. The rat was dying a slow death, breathing but barely moving. Success...right? Well, now I'm torn. I felt so sad and guilty seeing this poor thing dying in front of me, yet I was the one that had planned his fate. But is feeling that way going too far?

Regardless of always being compassionate for animals, I've become even more aware in the last year. I've learned a lot more about how horribly animals are treated for the sake of profit (meat industry, fur, shark fins for soup, etc., etc.) that I just don't want to take part in it on a certain level. Well, no I haven't become a vegan or animal activist, but I've decided not to eat red meat. I figure that's a feasible step in the right direction anyway. I've even started questioning whether I should stop purchasing leather. I want to be respectful of all living things, but does that mean that I am a hypocrite if I still buy or eat animal products? Or, am I a hypocrite if I kill wild rats? For now my justification is that, well, I am human and humans are part of the circle of life, even if that means killing a pesty rat or eating that Chik-fil-a sandwich that may once have been a two-headed chicken. Well, on that note, perhaps I've still got some considering to do...

1 comment:

Katy said...

Hey, i would be careful going the poison route. If you dogs or cat catch one that has been poisoned it can be poisoned as well. We use the traps that look like enormous mouse traps and then bury the dead ones in the back yard. yes it sucks to kill one, but it would be better than killing your pets ;)